Theremin Plans and Reference Material
- Barry and I have built 2 Theremins (TECI # 1 & TECI # 2 SWTP Hybrids) using plans that came with a kit Theremin,
dated 1974 offered by S.W. Technical Products. Ours is an update of the 1967
plans and features potentiometer tuning for the coils and a master volume control. We got the plans from the
Ontario Science Center and the theremin's work extremely well. We modified
design by using Miller #9001 coils, flat
aluminium plates for antennas,
and a resister pad network to lower the output amplitude. Our cost for parts was $200 Can. This seems to be
average for home made units. Copies of these plans are available and we will mail them for $10 US to recoup our reproduction costs.
- Popular Electronics April 1955 contains the plans for a tube model
Theremin. It is difficult to build as you need to wind your own coils and
build a fairly complex power transformer. We know of one attempt at this
recently, Dave Eley of Surrey BC, but the unit never did work properly.
- Electronics World Jan. 1961 contains a transistor Theremin designed by
Moog. We tried to build this, but we were unable to find many of the
Member #25 has built one and mentions it works well and was very easy to tune,
(1000 times easier than the 1967 model .. Tks Bob, I can believe it).
- Popular Electronics Nov. 1967 has plans that can still be built. The
coils you need are Miller # 9001 40-240 uH. This is the plan that was
available on the internet at Lepers Schematics.
- Radio and Television News magazine October 1949 also has tube model plans.
- Everyday With Practical Electronics magazine, September 1995.
- Superior professional quality Theremins are available from Big
Briar Inc in North Carolina USA.
Updated SWTP plans are also available
online at the 144 Theremin site.
- A Theremin Kit is being marketed by PAiA Electronics Inc., and is called the Theremax. Check out the
PAIA website for details.
- Mr. Theremin has a great DIY Tube Theremin site.. Check out
Mr. Theremin for details.
- Pavek Museum of Broadcasting Theremin page has RCA related Theremin documents...
- Mississippi State University ECE's Theremin project (well documented)...
(Additional data analysis is here)
- Click here
for Theremax mods and related info at Fred Nachbaur's Theremin web site.
- click TubeschemBW.gif
for a tube Theremin schematic from Radio & Television news.
- Theremin World's comprehensive schematics page can be found at Theremin World
- A variety of Theremin schematics can be found at Discover Circuits
- click citeseer.ist.psu.edu
for Theremin related documents at CiteSeer.
- Follow this link - www-pgss.mcs.cmu.edu
to view the PGSS Physics team Theremin project in PDF format.
- Silicon Chip's Theremin Projects -
Silicon Chip Theremin.
- Various Theremin related design specs -
- Blog of a first time Theremin build -
Adventure in the remin.
- Linux Journal article on how to turn a wireless network card into a simple Theremin -
Poor Man's Theremin.
& Analog Theremin Design's from the University of Glasgow
- Tube Theremin Design Mods by Kendrick Sellen
- Construction of a Keppinger Design Theremin
Copyright TECI 1995-2013 All Rights Reserved.